7/26/15

Tinted Lip Balm

Now that I am done with mosaic, I have time to make soaps and other body products, and of course go thrifting again.
Here is some tinted lip balm I made yesterday. The tint is achieved with alkanet root powder, which I infused into olive oil. When I made the trial batch of lip balm, I simply added the powder to the melted oils, which did not quite work out, because it left them grainy with tiny little red particles of alkanet root showing. So I discarded that batch, and infused the oils with the powder. In order to speed up the infusion process, I put the root powder and oil into a glass jar, which I then put on top of a submerged washcloth in a small pot, filled 1/3 with water and let it simmer on low, for about 6 hours. It is important to check the water level and adjust as necessary. I then strained the oil through a coffee filter and used the filtered oil in my lip balm recipe.
While the lip balm color looks very intense, it is actually pretty light, and provides just a hint of tint,
hence the name Hint of Tint.
Of course I neglected to take pictures of every step again, but I am sure there are plenty of instructions to be found elsewhere on the internet.
Today I might try out the beet powder I purchased to see if it creates a different, more intense color.





No comments:

Post a Comment